Skip to content
Kokomo Island Fiji
Recycling Initiatives at Kokomo Private Island Fiji

Recycling Initiatives

Here on Kokomo Private Island, we’ve taken a number of measures to reduce waste and our carbon footprint, which will ultimately benefit the environment and our local community. As well as conserving the landscape and natural resources, our glass crushing initiative reduces pollution, while our bottle station is designed to reduce plastic. In addition, we are committed to a ‘no plastic straws’ policy on the island, with all Kokomo straws made from cornstarch.

Composting

Composting can help to eliminate organic waste, fertilise the soil and reduce pollution. Recently Kokomo Private Island commissioned a recycling/compost plant, whereby all organic waste goes through a HOT ROT machine to form compost, which is used across our farms and gardens. All inorganic waste is sent to the mainland for recycling. In addition to this, we have large bins that cater to green waste such as coconut leaves and banana leaves which are used across our farm and gardens.

Stormwater Tanks

Independent from our Seawater Desalination Project, Kokomo Private Island uses three storm water tanks to harvest storm water, which is used throughout our garden irrigation system. Furthermore, our grey water from the sewerage treatment plant goes through a treatment process before being irrigated into the Kokomo gardens. Approximately 80% is recycled, with the remaining 20% lost on drying beds.

Recycling Initiatives at Kokomo Private Island Fiji